The Presidency has responded to criticisms of the purchase of a new presidential jet by saying the jet will save Nigeria millions of dollars.
In a statement confirming a PREMIUM TIMES report that President Bola Tinubu would use the new jet to travel to France on Monday, spokesperson Bayo Onanuga said, “The new plane, bought far below the market price, saves Nigeria huge maintenance and fuel costs, running into millions of dollars yearly.”
Many Nigerians have criticised the purchase of the presidential jet at a time when most are experiencing austerity measures caused by government policies.
Shehu Buba, who spoke to newsmen, explained that regardless of the economic hardship in the country, not quickly overhauling the country’s presidential air fleet could endanger the president’s and his deputy’s lives.
“It is true that our country is facing economic difficulty, but that will not justify jeopardising or endangering the lives of our president, our vice president, other top government officials, and any citizen for that matter,” Mr Buba said.
“We are all aware of the air mishaps in Iran and Malawi recently, which claimed the lives of the president and vice president of those countries, respectively. We commiserate with the people and governments of those countries. But we must also, as a people, do whatever is necessary to lower the possibility of such disasters in our country.
Similarly, the move to purchase the jet came at a time when the government had been at loggerheads with Nigerian workers over a disagreement on a decent minimum wage figure that could complement the economic reality/soaring inflation.